Sunday, January 31, 2010

a sad day in Calgary

I'm sure you've heard the news by now. Calgary has traded Elisha Cuthbert, I mean, Dion Phaneuf to the Toronto Maple Laffs.
This means no more "accidently" running into her at the grocery store she shops at. No more stuffing the pool boy into a garbage can and stealing his uniform and equipment to, ah, clean the pool while they tan poolside.... I hope someone let the poolboy out...
I'm shocked that Phaneuf was traded... one of the top blueliners in the NHL, and the most devastating hitter. But I guess when you get in an argument with the coach over how the team should be run, you gotta go. Now some of you may say, wait. He's a star. Owners and General managers listen to the stars nowadays. Yeah, well, um.... the GM is the coaches brother. So yeah.
Bottom line, our team is weaker than before. We added "depth". That's an industry term to describe the pile of crap you receive when you get bent over the trade table. Plus, Dion is locked in for four more years at a reasonable $6.5 mil each. The four guys we got are all free agents at the end of the year. Perfect.
Did I mention we gave up this?
At least if they had traded him to Ottawa for either Mike Comrie or Mike Fisher, we'd get something back. For those of you who don't know, they are dating Carrie Underwood and Hilary Duff. Don't ask me which one is which. I can't even tell Comrie and Fisher apart let alone Duff and Underwood.
A sad day in Calgary....

10 comments:

Drop The Gloves! said...

This trade blew me away! As a Bruins fan I hate it since we have their 1st round pick for the next two seasons and I want them to stink it up. Phaneuf doesn't help that.

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for astute commentary on this trade since I heard about it. I should have known just to come to you.

Confimation code: botcha. Seems pretty obvious in this context, I'd say.

night owl said...

Well, Toronto is closer to me, so there's that.

Ottawa is even closer to me. And I can tell Underwood and Duff apart.

East coast wins again.

Justin G. said...

Maybe calgary is gearing up for a free agent run in the offseason? With Phaneuff off the books and Jokinen coming off after the season that's a lot of looneies to throw at someone. Maybe a certain Russian toiling away in Atlanta? Sorry about the trade - I'm hoping it's not overshadowed by Vincent to LA.....

Anonymous said...

My, uh, condolences?

Chuck's Used Cards said...

While I appear hopeful, can the Leafs spoil this too ? Paired with Ian White ?

The got S.J. Giguere too. But Toronto should be producing at least some homegrown talent -

They gave away Justin Pogge ...

hope spring a leak.

The Big Kahuna said...

I'm still shocked that the Maple leafs got Giggy (Giguere). At least the flames still have Jerome.

Sal said...

A little math...

Dion Phaneuf = Overrated

Duncan Keith > Dion Phaneuf

Team Canada says so.

Though I'd rather have Phaneuf than the guys the Leafs traded to get him. So maybe the Leafs won't be such a train wreck to watch on HNIC every Saturday.

TheRealDFG said...

He wasn't happy in Calgary and made no effort to hide that fact. It is going to hurt in the short term but it will help the Flames in the long term.

I agree that the bigger loss is Elisha.

John Bateman said...

I wish they made cards of her